Current:Home > MyPanama’s Supreme Court declares 20-year contract for Canadian copper mine unconstitutional -USAMarket
Panama’s Supreme Court declares 20-year contract for Canadian copper mine unconstitutional
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 05:16:41
PANAMA CITY (AP) — Panama’s Supreme Court on Tuesday declared unconstitutional a 20-year concession for a Canadian copper mine that had sparked weeks of protests by environmentalists and others who argued it would damage a forested coastal area and threaten water supplies.
The announcement by the nine-justice court, after four days of deliberations, set off cheers among demonstrators waiting outside and waving Panamanian flags.
“This is what we had been waiting for,” demonstrator Raisa Banfield said after what she called an agonizing wait. “The president has to suspend (mine) operations today.”
There was no immediate comment from Minera Panama, the local subsidiary of Canada’s First Quantum Minerals.
The dispute over the open-pit mine led to some of Panama’s most widespread protests in recent years, including a blockade of the mine’s power plant. Protesters also blocked parts of the Pan American highway, including a stretch near the border with Costa Rica. Just before the ruling was announced, they opened the roadway so that freight trucks could get through.
Minera Panama said in a statement earlier this month that small boats had blocked its port in Colon province, preventing supplies from reaching the mine. Naval police reported that a ship carrying coal decided to turn back due to “hostility from a group of protesters who from their boats threw rocks and blunt homemade objects” before being dispersed.
The protesters, a broad coalition of Panamanians, feared the mine’s impact on nature and especially on the water supply.
The mine employs thousands and accounts for 3% of Panama’s gross domestic product.
In March, Panama’s legislature reached an agreement with First Quantum allowing Minera Panama to continue operating the huge copper mine in central Panama for at least 20 more years. The mine was temporarily closed last year when talks between the government and First Quantum broke down over payments the government wanted.
The contract, given final approval Oct. 20, allowed the subsidiary to continue operating the mine in a biodiverse jungle on the Atlantic coast west of the capital for the next 20 years, with the possibility of extending for a further 20 years if the mine remains productive.
Since protests began, the government nearly passed legislation that would have revoked the contract, but it backtracked in a debate in the National Assembly on Nov. 2.
Protesters’ last hope was for Panama’s courts to declare the contract unconstitutional.
___
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (43)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Spam alert: How to spot crooks trying to steal money via email
- NHL point projections, standings predictions: How we see 2024-25 season unfolding
- More Americans file for unemployment benefits last week, but layoffs remain historically low
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Aphrodisiacs are known for improving sex drive. But do they actually work?
- Will gas prices, supplies be affected by the port strike? What experts say
- Video shows mules bringing resources to Helene victims in areas unreachable by vehicles
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Becky Hammon likens Liberty to Spurs as Aces trail 0-2: 'They feel like something was stolen'
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Deadly Maui fire sparked from blaze believed to have been extinguished, report says
- Lionel Messi, Inter Miami's first playoff game will be free to fans on Apple TV
- Roots Actor John Amos’ Cause of Death Revealed
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Influential prophesizing pastors believe reelecting Trump is a win in the war of angels and demons
- Padres' Joe Musgrove exits playoff start vs. Braves, will undergo elbow tests
- Judge denies Wisconsin attorney general’s request to review Milwaukee archdiocese records
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
CGI babies? What we know about new 'Rugrats' movie adaptation
Mark Consuelos Promises Sexy Wife Kelly Ripa That He'll Change This Bedroom Habit
Roots Actor John Amos’ Cause of Death Revealed
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Black bear found dead on Tennessee highway next to pancakes
Video shows mules bringing resources to Helene victims in areas unreachable by vehicles
Helene death toll hits 200 one week after landfall; 1M without power: Live updates